Being a flight attendant is a dreamy job for many people, but this job is not as easy as it sounds. Flight attendants have to travel the world, meet many people, and stay on standby. But except for all these conditions, you must try to enter this exciting world.
Let’s discuss where you have to start to get this amazing job: what are the requirements and Disqualification For Flight Attendants?
If you want to be a flight attendant, some things can disqualify you from being a flight attendant, like; a criminal record, bad credits, and bad things from your past. You can also be disqualified if you don’t fulfill all the requirements for flight attendants.
The flight attendant job is very competitive, so you need to be fully prepared if you are going to apply for this job. You need to dig out all the disqualifications for flight attendants or go through all the requirements for flight attendants.
This article will highlight all the factors that can become the cause of
Disqualification For Flight Attendants.
Disqualification For Flight Attendants
If you are dreaming of a flight attendant job, you need to work on things that can disqualify you. Let’s discuss it all in detail:
Age Limits For Flight Attendants
Age is the first factor in this job; if you are less than 18 years old, you can be disqualified. In the meanwhile, there is not any upper limit given by any company in their job specification. You can apply for this job in your 40s and 50s.
But the darker side of this age limit factor is that many companies prefer to hire young people, especially when they do not have any previous experience. So based on age, you can be disqualified if you are not within the specified limit.
Short height is one of the main reasons in the list of disqualifications for flight attendants. Every company has its criteria for height, but generally, it varies between 5 feet 2 inches and 6 feet 1 inch.
Flight attendants’ minimum height must be 5 feet 2 inches because they must be able to reach the safety equipment placed in the overhead compartment in case of any emergency. Mostly maximum height does not cause any problem, but some companies prefer a height of fewer than 6 feet 1 inch because their planes are small and have less headroom. So if your height is less than 5 feet 2 inches, you can be disqualified as a flight attendant.
Flight attendants must have completed secondary education or higher school education. But it does not mean you will be disqualified for a flight attendant’s job if you have a bachelor’s degree or university education. In rare cases, private companies ask for a bachelor’s or master’s degree. Education is important for language, and English is the basic requirement for the flight attendant of any airline. The English language can enhance your confidence and personality. They will test your English at the time of the interview, and if you are not good at English, you can be disqualified.
When you apply for flight attendants, it is important to pass the swimming test during training. Generally, in a swimming test, you must swim 50 meters in a 2-meter-deep pool with no time limit. But some private companies have changed the criteria in some other countries. Do you think the swimming test is as easy as it sounds? No, it isn’t easy to pass this test as you have to swim with all your clothes or a uniform with a safety jacket too. So swimming skills are a must to qualify as a flight attendant.
Once you have completed your training session and gotten a license, then for flight attendants, you also have to pass the aeromedical examination. It is easy to pass this examination if you are normal and physically healthy. This medical examination consists of:
- Weight and height; Your weight must be appropriate according to your height
- Medical History; Doctor will ask some questions about your previous illness.
- A urine test; is taken to detect the drugs and diabetes. If drugs are detected, you will be disqualified immediately.
- Blood test; to detect problems like anemia, cholesterol, or epilepsy.
- Blood pressure; to know whether you have hypertension or not.
- Electrocardiogram; to detect the health of the heart.
- Hearing and sight test; You can pass this test with an astigmatism diopter not exceeding 2 and in case of myopia not exceeding 5 diopters. So if you are wearing glasses don’t forget to take them with you. Color vision tests will be conducted in the aeromedical examination.
- Spirometry; to detect problems in the lungs and respiratory systems like asthma.
There are some other requirements mentioned below that must be fulfilled; otherwise, you could be disqualified as a flight attendant;
- Every candidate has to submit a last 5 to 10 years criminal background checkable certificate. You have to give the details about your previous employment and education.
- Every flight attendant must be ready to relocate.
- No extra piercing, visible tattoos, extreme or odd hair color or hairstyles are allowed.
- Must have experience in customer service.
- Must have three contactable references.
- Must be flexible with work hours, shifts and weekends.
- Having a valid passport permitting you to travel anywhere would be best.
After reading the whole article, it seems having a job for flight attendants is not as easy as it seems. It could take months to complete all this training and examination process, but all that ends is worth it to qualify as a flight attendant.
In this article, you have read all about the disqualification for the flight attendants so that you can prepare yourself before all the training sessions; like you can take classes for swimming to be good in swimming and, you can maintain your weight according to your height, and this preparation will help you to get this job.